Are you wondering whether to invest in an induction stove or a gas stove or are you just curious to learn about the two? Here are some differences explained between the two types of stoves.
What Is Induction Cooking?
Induction cooking uses electromagnetic heating to heat up a copper coil or heating element to heat up a surface above it, usually made out of glass to cook food. The electromagnetic energy s transferred through the surface to the induction-compatible cooking utensils to allow food to cook.
What Are The Differences Between Induction Cooking And Natural Gas?
While both types of stoves fulfill the same purpose: cooking food. They each have different ways that they work and other functional differences. Here are some of their differences explained.
Heating Up Time
Heat-up time for both types of cooktops was tested, and the heat-up time of the induction stove was faster than that of the gas stove. Based on the test, it takes almost double the amount of time to boil water on the gas stove as compared to the induction stove.
Induction cooktops come with precise temperature control features that can be increased or decreased more accurately. Gas stove tops have dials that are not as precise, and a breeze or airflow can affect the flame on the stove. The iron cast on the stove heats up with the flame, and even after switching it off, it remains hot enough to continue cooking your food in the pot. To prevent food from overcooking or burning, the pot would have to be removed completely from the stove to remove the heat completely.
Choice Of Model
Since gas stoves have been around for almost a century more than induction tops, a more recent invention, gas stoves have many more models available compared to induction tops. Gas stoves come in many different styles and models. While there are many different types of induction tops to choose between, the options are fewer than gas stoves.
Since induction tops heat up faster, they cook food faster as well, reducing the overall time it takes to cook food, therefore, conserving energy. Another way that induction tops conserve energy is by transferring heat directly to the cooking utensil rather than wasting it. In a gas stove, a lot of energy is wasted as it takes longer to preheat.
Ease Of Use
While both types are easy to switch on and use, an induction cooktop might take you some time to get familiar with. Since it heats up fast and has precise temperature control, you might find that a little bit more complicated to use as a beginner. But once you get comfortable with it, it would be just as easy to use a gas stove but even quicker. Temperatures are much higher in an induction stove which is why it takes some time to get used to.
Induction tops are usually more expensive than gas tops. This is because they have electrical parts and are generally more expensive and complicated to repair as well. Gas stoves are easier to repair and usually just blocked when they stop working. However, prices also vary with different sizes and models, induction stoves are generally more expensive than their gas counterparts.
Not all, but most induction stoves are noisy. They make a low humming or buzzing sound that comes from the heating element within the stove and the fan. The noise is louder in the following conditions:
- If the cookware is lightweight
- If the cookware is not placed properly, like a pan that doesn’t lay flat
- If the pot is too small for the induction surface
- Pans placed adjacent to each other in the induction range make noise
Which One Is Safer?
Of the two types, the induction cooktop is the safer option. This is because it can be locked, preventing it from being used by children. There is no risk of turning the gas dial on and danger of a gas leak. Induction cooktops are also designed to emit heat only when the correct cookware is placed on top of it. Induction cooktops also cool down really quickly, unlike the gas stove. Gas stoves also warm up the kitchen and can make the kitchen feel super hot in the summer months.
Most induction tops are covered by glass on top, which can scratch, shatter or crack if you accidentally drop a heavy pot on it or slam it on the surface. It can also get scratched if you drag a sharp item on its surface; therefore, you must be very careful when handling an induction top. A gas stove, on the other hand is covered by cast iron grates which are quite durable and can withstand heavy items placed on them. This is the main reason why most commercial kitchens use gas top stoves, as they are less expensive and can withstand significant abuse in the kitchen.
Cleaning And Maintenance
Cleaning an induction top is as simple as wiping down a smooth surface with a wipe or washcloth. There are no grills or grates that need to be cleaned. However, both types of stoves need to be cleaned carefully. Before cleaning either of the stoves, be sure they are switched off and completely cooled down. Here is how you should clean the cooking stoves:
How To Clean An Induction Stove
- Make sure to clean with a non-abrasive cloth
- Make sure to use only non-abrasive cleaning products to clean the induction top
- Make sure to clean any spills or stains before using the induction top, as it can cause the stains to become permanent.
How To Clean A Gas Stove
Cleaning out a gas stove is a little more tedious as it has more parts.
- First, remove the iron grates and wash them with hot and soapy water. Once properly cleaned, leave them out to dry completely
- in case there are tough grease stains on the grates; you can use abrasive cleaning products on the grates to clean them completely and then rinse and leave them out to dry
- uncap the gas covers and rinse them with hot soapy water and leave them out to dry. Do not place them back on the gas caps while they are dripping wet. Wait for them to air and dry out completely.
- Clean the range with a soapy sponge, and be sure to clean out any water or soap residue from the range before replacing the gas caps and the grates onto the stove.
Compatibility With Cookware
Induction stove tops require induction-compatible cookware only to allow heat to transmit from the stove onto the pot. Placing the incorrect pan will not transmit heat, and you will be unable to cook. Traditional aluminum, glass, and ceramic cookware would not work on induction stoves. This is not a problem with gas stoves, as any type of cookware can be placed on a gas stove.
Advantages Of Induction Cooking
It is a tough decision when deciding which type of stove top to get. Here are some advantages of induction cooking tops:
- They are easier to clean
- They heat up faster than gas stoves
- They cool down instantly when switched off
- They have a precise temperature control system
- They are safer than gas stoves to use
- They are more energy conserving
- They are not a fire hazard
- They are easily installed and do not require a gas line
Disadvantages Of Induction Cooking
While there are many advantages to induction cooking, it has certain disadvantages as well:
- The biggest disadvantage to induction cooking is that it requires induction-compatible pots and pans. Ay kind of cookware would not be suitable for induction cooking surfaces as they will not transmit heat
- Since they have a glass top, there is a danger of cracking or scratching the surface due to a sharp or heavy object on the stove’s surface.
- Repair and maintenance costs of an induction cooking stove are higher than those of a gas stove
- Since induction tops work with electricity, they cannot be used when the power goes out
- They are more expensive than a gas top
- If one burner stops working, the entire heating element has to be changed.
The Final Word
While there are advantage and disadvantages to both types of cooking stoves, it really comes down to your own preference at the end. for homes and routine cooking purposes, an induction top is ideal. it looks good; it is efficient, energy-conserving, and easy to clean. For commercial cooking purposes, such as restaurant kitchens, induction cooking would not be the best option. Finally, you can decide based on your own use and preference. Gas tops can be used there for those who have a dirty kitchen in the house, while induction tops can be used in their main or ‘clean’ kitchen. Both types can get the job done, but only you would know which one is best for your home and family.